Facebook released an update for Android users last month to guarantee seamless application performance. However, after the upgrade, the majority of users were unable to use their back buttons, and reports surfaced on November 5, 2023, as per certain sources. Since the back button was eliminated, it has become more challenging for users to scroll to the top of the screen and press another symbol to return to the previous screen.
Some users said that by holding the button for one to four seconds, the issue was fixed. However, that isn’t the ideal answer. Now, there are a few solutions for this problem. Therefore, be sure to read the entire advice if you are experiencing problems with the Facebook back button not working.
How to Fix the Facebook Back Button Not Working Issue
These glitches are happening because Meta is preparing a major announcement for Facebook and Instagram users, which is why they are rolling out some new changes. However, following the latest update, this bug will be immediately fixed. However, if you would still like to attempt something that might help fix the Facebook back button not working issue, make sure to carry out these fixes:
Fix 1: Restart Your Device
Restarting the device can frequently solve the Facebook back button not working issue by clearing any temporary issues and refreshing the system. To restart your device, take the following actions:
- Hold down the power button on your iOS or Android device until the power-off menu displays.
- Select either “Power Off” or “Restart” from the menu.
- Finally, turn the device back on after letting it shut down fully, waiting a short while, and then turning it back on.
- After the device has restarted, open Facebook and use the back button to confirm that it is functional.
Fix 2: Check for App Conflicts
App conflicts can occasionally result in unexpected behavior, such as problems pressing the back button when installing recently installed apps next to pre-existing ones. The procedures listed below can help you settle any possible app conflicts:
- You might wish to uninstall a recently installed software temporarily, depending on when the back button issue occurred.
- After removing the new app, go back to Facebook and try using the back button.
Fix 3: Review Device Navigation Settings
In the event that gesture navigation is utilized in place of a conventional button, make sure your device’s back gesture is set correctly. If you’re having trouble using the Facebook back button, try these steps:
- Go to the settings menu on your smartphone.
- Navigating on your smartphone is as simple as selecting the “System” or “Display” options.
- Check the gesture navigation settings to make sure the back gesture is functioning as intended. Modify the gesture navigation settings to resolve the back button issue.
Fix 4: Close Other Apps
Occasionally, having many apps open at the same time can cause issues with Facebook’s features, such as the back button. To fix this, take the following actions:
- Navigate to the device’s home screen.
- Verify whether any programs are running in the background if you are not using them right now. To view and close open apps on an Android device, tap the square or recent apps button. Double-clicking the home button or swiping up from the bottom will bring up the iOS app switcher. Applications can be ended by swiping them from the screen.
- After ending background apps, go back to the Facebook app and see if the back button still works.
Fix 5: Update the Facebook App
Make sure your Facebook app is up to date if you’re experiencing issues using the back button. The back button may stop working while using out-of-date versions of an app because of compatibility issues or bugs. The steps to upgrade your Facebook app are as follows:
- Open the app store on your smartphone (App Store for iOS, GPlay for Android).
- Find “Facebook” on the app store by searching for it.
- If there is an update available after that, you will see a “Update” button. Click or tap on the update to start it.
- The new version ought to fix the back button problem after the installation is finished.
Fix 6: Clear App Cache and Data
Cache data and temporary files can build up inside the Facebook app over time, causing issues like a faulty back button. Cleaning up the app’s cache and data may be helpful:
- Go to the settings on your smartphone.
- Navigate to the Applications or “Apps” area.
- Next, select Facebook from the list of installed apps by tapping on it.
- Select “Cache & Storage” or “Storage.”
- To delete temporary files, select “Clear Cache” and “Clear Data” as needed. You can move forward when you’ve confirmed.
- Restart your smartphone and connect back into Facebook to see if the back button functions properly.
Fix 7: Check for System Updates
System upgrades can fix compatibility problems that may arise between the operating system and certain programs, like Facebook. Verify whether your device’s operating system has any pending updates:
- Go to your device’s settings.
- Choose “System Updates” or “Software Update.”
- Verify whether there are any accessible system updates, then install them.
- After updating your device, see if the Facebook back button still functions.
Fix 8: Reinstall the Facebook App
When all other options have been exhausted, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook app to make sure it’s a fresh installation. What you should do is as follows:
- Look for the Facebook app on your device.
- After that, tap and hold the app icon to bring up a menu.
- Choose the uninstall option.
- Next, go to the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (android) on your device.
- Look up “Facebook” once more, then download it.
- Open the app and log in after it has been installed. To confirm that the problem has been fixed, press the back button.
Fix 9: Install Facebook Lite
There is another choice available to you. You can install and use Facebook Lite if you don’t have any issues.
- Visit the Play Store on Google.
- Look up Facebook Lite.
- Press the Install button.
- After Facebook Lite has been installed, open it and log in.
- You won’t have any issues if you utilize the back button.
- That concludes our guide to resolving the Facebook Back Button not working problem. We hope this tutorial has been useful to you. In the meanwhile, please leave a remark below if you need any additional help.